“Hey, Jamie. How did your family do when the hurricane came through?”
“Fine. No damage to the house. But, we probably won’t have power for another four days.”
Ouch. That would be a total of seven days without power for Jamie and his family. He’s thankful for God sparing their property from damage, but the power outage is a significant disruption to his family.
When I (Scott) think back to my conversation with Jamie, I can see some parallels in his situation and what my team does for Cru. Yes, we create elaborate contingency plans in case the worst happens (e.g. Hurricane Irma knocks out our headquarters’ power for 3 days).
But, what my team strives for is rarely noticed. Just like power or a/c is rarely noticed by the average Floridan or Houstonian or Caribbean friend…until we don’t have it.
My team exists to help provide stability and dependability for Cru to operate and communicate effectively.
Why? We do this in order for the gospel of Jesus to go forth around the world.
Some examples in how this plays out are:
- Fast and dependable internet access, since it’s what most of the work our 1,000 staff at our global headquarters require
- Maintain and improve our video conferencing systems to enable strategy and coaching meetings to our missionaries across the world
- Data security to protect Cru’s donor information
- Disaster recovery solutions in worst-case scenarios
- Office phone systems for our field missionaries to connect with our headquarters, as well as receive calls from our donors
- Reliable computer network for our on-site donation systems (which processes the financial gifts which provide for our missionaries all around the world).
Cru has an ambitious goal of reaching 10 million multiplying disciples by the end of 2020, in order to reach the 5 billion who have never tasted the goodness of Jesus Christ.
My role as a network engineer brings leverage to this vision, enabling the ministry that God has given us and Cru to continue fruitfully.
All so that people can hear about Jesus, wherever they live.
Thank you, Scott, for all you do to serve Cru and our staff. It is so appreciated.
Fantastic parallel and explanation!
Sent from my iPhone
THE NEED TO GET JESUS’ MESSAGE OUT TO PROVIDE HIS LIGHT FOR THE WHOLE WORLD IS SO EVIDENT IN LIGHT OF CURRENT HAPPENINGS IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW!!!! 🙏❤️🙏
Love, Mom ❤️❤️ Sent from my iPhone